Food Type: French
Glass Price: £ 10.50 (175 ml)
Phone number: +44 (0)20 7379 9696
Theatreland’s most romantic restaurant can still boast one of the largest lists in the UK. Its 2,500 listings from 18 countries include some extremely impressive verticals of first growth Bordeaux, Super Tuscans and Romanée-Conti. It has also been particularly strong in its Californian selection for some time.
Some might find it quite intimidating when this hefty, 100-page tome is placed on the table. It could even be deemed 'anti-social' given the silence that can drop while the list is examined. It is nevertheless a spellbinding collection to complement delicate dishes such as native lobster, scallop and king prawn tortellini poached in langoustine bisque, and roasted Wagyu beef from Kyushu Island, Japan.
By Zeren Wilson
• Nyetimber, 2009, Blanc de Blancs - England - sparkling - £119
• Gaía Estate, 2015, ‘Wild Ferment’ Assyrtiko, Santorini - Greece - white - £56
• Josmeyer, 2012, Riesling 'Le Dragon', Alsace - France - white - £75
• Domaine Tollot-Beaut, 2011, Savigny les Beaune, Burgundy - France - red - £85
• Château Léoville-Poyferré, 1998, 2ème Cru Classé, Bordeaux - France - red - £225
• Peller Estate, 2015, Vidal Blanc, Icewine, Niagara - Canada - sweet - £118