Food Type: British
Glass From : £ 8 (175 ml)
Phone number: +44 (0)207 242 8963
Expect a tangibly tasty bar-and-restaurant menu, where Colchester rock oysters (we found a pearl in ours) might be offered alongside perky gazpacho with smoked eel and chervil, and bigger dishes such as Landes guinea fowl with bright vin jaune sauce and game in season.
More than 25 wines are served by the glass, most of which hail from the Old World, including a Tenerife blend supplemented by intriguing, wine-slaked cocktails, such as the Noble Rotter (Chateau d’Yquem Sauternes 2, lime, mint and ice). The list is divided by region and sentiment, such as Pinot Noir / The Heartbreak Grape, and Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot & friends Bordeaux / So un-cool it’s cool.As well as hallowed French regions, Spain gets a good look-in, including older bottles such as Perez Pascuas, Vina Pedrosa (Ribera del Duero) from 1990.
• Hambledon, Premiere Cuvée NV, Hampshire - England - sparkling - £76
• Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru ‘La Garenne’, E Sauzet, 2012, Burgundy - France - white - £130
• Schloss Lieser, 2006, Riesling Kabinett, Mosel - Germany - white - £48
• Wind Gap, Nellessen Ranch, 2013, Syrah, California - USA - red - £63
• 12 volts, 4kilos, 2015, Mallorca - Spain - red - £51
• Vittorio Bera & Figli, 2015, Moscato d’Asti Piedmont - Italy 2015 - sweet - £37