Food Type: British
Glass Price: £ 5.50 (175 ml)
Phone number: 0203 00 66 111
A wide-ranging and, broadly speaking, unusually reasonably priced list at this most British of venues, smartly located in the Floral Hall, relocated from Covent Garden to become a haven over the bustle of Borough Market.
Expect a full and thoughtful look at England's wines, including a Blanc de Blancs created by Chapel Down in Kent to mark the restaurant's 10 years of trading.
Other specifically tailored wines include a Roast Malbec from Argentina by Bodega Ruca Malen – gregariously available in either magnum or double magnum format.
Chef Stuart Cauldwell is a master of big flavours, gleaned from ingredients often sourced from the market. Dishes include roast rare breed suckling pig with mashed potato and Bramley apple sauce (good with Carneros Chardonnay, Waterstone), or cider cured sea trout with asparagus and Portland crab, potentially partnered with special occasion Rheingau Riesling, Silberlack (Schloss Johannisberg).
By Zeren Wilson
• Bloomsbury 2013, Merret, Ridgview, UK - sparkling - £58
• Silberlack Riesling 2008, Schloss Johannisberg, Rheingau, Germany - white - £105
• Corullon 2011, Descendientes de J Palacios, Bierzo, Spain - red - £87
• Bolney Estate 2014, Pinot Noir, UK - red - £57
• Château Clarke 2007, Baron Edmond de Rothschild, Bordeaux, France - red - £87
• Barros 1978, Colheita, Portugal - red - £95