Food Type: European
Glass Price: £ 9.50 (175 ml)
Phone number: 020 7499 3331
Located at the end of a tree-lined private walkway, this Mayfair mews restaurant owned by Marc Abela ((Morton's, The Square, Green's, Morello, A Voce and Marc Patisserie) is feted as having the largest wine list in London – running to over 3,800 labels.
The supermodel of a collection from start to finish is curated by sommelier Elvis Ziakos. On it, cool oceans of Chablis include a startlingly large François Raveneau vertical, which would add citrus zip to classically-trained chef Arnaud Bignon’s subtly Asian-influenced, French-rooted dishes, including wild turbot with golden matcha tea and cauliflower.
Burgundy listings are, overall, eye-poppingly exciting, with older vintages of these and iconic Bordeaux in plentiful supply. The huge listing of Penfolds Grange dating to 1961 must be one of the largest in existence. A list that struts with its chest puffed out and head held high – pretty much peerless.
By Zeren Wilson
• Billecart-Salmon Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs NV, Champagne, France - sparkling - £145
• Chablis 'Blanchots' 2006, François Raveneau, Burgundy, France - white - £475
• Puligny-Montrachet 'Les Folatières' 2006, Domaine Leflaive, Burgundy, France - white - £390
• Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2009, Emidio Pepe, Abruzzo, Italy - red - £105
• Château Troplong-Mondot 2007 Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux, France - red - £195
• Château Suduiraut 2009 Sauternes, Bordeaux, France - sweet - £135