Food Type: European
Glass Price: £ 6 (125 ml)
Phone number: +44 (0)20 7436 3261
What this perhaps-laboured metaphor is getting at is that the list at Portland, while brief, is packed with intriguing drinking options, representing the finest artisanal producers, wherever in the world they might reside.
The wine list changes monthly, with around 50 labels at any one time, organised under the headings Textbook, Special and Leftfield (the latter broken down in to single-bottle examples of Orange Wine, Skin Contact and Oxidative), with almost everything available by the glass. Interestingly, and in fact sensibly, it also leads with a description of the style of the wine
before naming the wine itself. A separate single-bottle list represents a diverse bunch of some of the more famous names and historic vintages at a generous margin.
• Laherte Freres, ‘Les 7’ Extra Brut NV, Champagne - France - sparkling - £135
• Huia, 2016, Pinot Gris, Marlborough - New Zealand - white - £41
• Yattarna ‘Bin 144’, Penfolds, 2000, Chardonnay, New South Wales - Australia - white - £160
• ‘Nicolas’, 1997, Catena Zapata, Mendoza - Argentina - red - £220
• Ch. Sara, 2000, Beqaa Valley - Lebanon - red - £107
• Avignonesi, 1986, Vin Santo, Tuscany - Italy - sweet - £365