Woman dies after eating at Michelin-starred restaurant

A woman has died and 28 others suffered food poisoning after dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Valencia.

It’s been suggested that a batch of poisonous mushrooms (not pictured) may have been to blame.

The 46-year-old woman, who has not been named, became ill after having a meal at the Riff restaurant in Valencia with her husband and son. She died in the early hours of Sunday. Her husband and son were also taken ill, but are said to be recovering, according to reports by The Guardian.

Health authorities have so far tracked down 75 people who ate at Riff between 13 and 16 February, and have confirmed a total of 29 cases of food poisoning.

With the exception of the person who died, all those who fell ill have shown light symptoms – mainly vomiting,” the regional health authority said in a statement on Thursday.

Food safety officers visited the restaurant on 18 February and failed to find any obvious explanation for the poisonings, although it has been reported that a poisonous mushroom could have been to blame, as reported by The Telegraph, but this has not been confirmed by authorities.

Samples of dishes served as a part of a tasting menu are being analysed by the National Toxicology Institute.

Bernd H Knöller, the head chef and owner of Riff, which has a Michelin star, is working with the regional health authorities, and has closed the restaurant while an investigation is completed.

He said: “I’ve taken the decision to close the restaurant until we know the precise causes and can reopen with the necessary guarantees for the safety of both staff and customers.”

Leave your reply

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

In restaurant news: the UK restaurant market is expected to grow by almost a third this year, a report finds test and trace data from restaurants was barely used, and restaurants in Texas reopen at full capacity. 

Liquid Icons launches The Golden Vines Awards

Liquid Icons, founded by the late, great Gerard Basset OBE MW MS and Lewis Chester DipWSET, has announced the launch of The Golden Vines Awards, which will raise funds for, and promote, diversity and inclusion in the industry.

English wine industry plans digital campaign and hospitality fundraiser

Building on the success of a similar event last year, Jacob Leadley, CEO of Hampshire winery Black Chalk, and industry body WineGB are to launch the Big English Wine Easter campaign.

Hong Kong Tourism Board to boost local hospitality

Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) announced its new year work plan, setting out a series of flexible strategies to prepare for the return of tourists and continue support for the local hospitality industry.

Lease terminated on Covid-hit Hong Kong restaurant

Mr. Ming’s Chinese Dining, a restaurant in Hong Kong that has reported a cluster outbreak of Covid-19 recently, has had its lease terminated by its landlord, the K11 Musea shopping mall.

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

In restaurant news: the UK restaurant market is expected to grow by almost a third this year, a report finds test and trace data from restaurants was barely used, and restaurants in Texas reopen at full capacity. 

Liquid Icons launches The Golden Vines Awards

Liquid Icons, founded by the late, great Gerard Basset OBE MW MS and Lewis Chester DipWSET, has announced the launch of The Golden Vines Awards, which will raise funds for, and promote, diversity and inclusion in the industry.

English wine industry plans digital campaign and hospitality fundraiser

Building on the success of a similar event last year, Jacob Leadley, CEO of Hampshire winery Black Chalk, and industry body WineGB are to launch the Big English Wine Easter campaign.

Hong Kong Tourism Board to boost local hospitality

Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) announced its new year work plan, setting out a series of flexible strategies to prepare for the return of tourists and continue support for the local hospitality industry.

Lease terminated on Covid-hit Hong Kong restaurant

Mr. Ming’s Chinese Dining, a restaurant in Hong Kong that has reported a cluster outbreak of Covid-19 recently, has had its lease terminated by its landlord, the K11 Musea shopping mall.