Batali surrenders restaurant empire after claims of sexual misconduct

US celebrity chef Mario Batali has sold off all of his shares in the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, following a 20-year partnership with the Bastianich family, following allegations of sexual misconduct.

Mario Batali has sold all of his shares in the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, which he co-founded in 1998, as well as his minority interest in Eataly USA.

A new company has been set up to replace the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, which Mario Batali co-founded in 1998 with restaurateurs Joe Bastianich and Lidia Bastianich.

As reported by Business Times, Batali’s interests in the company were officially dissolved on Wednesday, more than a year after several women accused Batali of sexual harassment and assault.

Tanya Bastianich Manuali and her brother, Joe Bastianich, have bought Batali’s shares in all the restaurants, but have not disclosed the financial terms.

Bastianich Manuali, who will lead an as-yet-unnamed company to replace the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, said Batali will “no longer profit from the restaurants in any way, shape or form”.

The new company will operate the group’s remaining 16 restaurants under a new management and financial structure.

Batali is also selling his shares in New York’s Eataly, the Italian market concept founded by Italian businessman Oscar Farinetti in 2007, which has since grown from a converted Vermouth factory in Turin to include venues in New York, Chicago, Milan Copenhagan and Dubai.

A spokesman for Eataly confirmed that it was in the process of acquiring Batali’s “minority interest in Eataly USA”.

ALLEGATIONS

In 2017, Batali voluntarily stepped down from his restaurant empire and was been fired from ABC’s cooking-based talk show The Chew in light of the allegations, following a report first published by New York’s Eater. Four women made allegations against the chef over incidents spanning two decades, with more later coming forward.

Batali had already admitted that the claims “match up” with his behaviour, despite not knowing his accusers, and released a statement in which he not only apologised to fans, but took “full responsibility” for his actions.

The statement read: “I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team. My behaviour was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility. Sharing the joys of Italian food, tradition and hospitality with all of you, each week, is an honour and privilege. Without the support of all of you – my fans – I would never have a forum in which to expound upon this. I will work every day to regain your respect and trust – mb.”

Leave your reply

Most Recent Stories

Domaine Clarence Dillon to publish cookbook based on Paris restaurant

Domaine Clarence Dillon, the owner of Château Haut-Brion and La Mission Haut-Brion, is to publish a cookbook from its two-Michelin starred Paris restaurant Le Clarence based on the cuisine of chef Christophe Pelé.

UK government's wine red tape backtrack to cost industry millions

The UK government is reportedly considering backtracking on an agreement concerning costly paperwork on wine imports and exports to and from the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit, which could cost the industry millions.

UK government to bring back duty-free alcohol under no-deal Brexit

Duty-free purchasing on alcohol and cigarettes will return in the UK if it leaves the European Union without a deal next month, chancellor Sajid Javid has said.

Pernod Ricard launches tea-infused wine range

A glass of wine and a cup of tea are two of life’s great pleasures, and now they have been combined in a quirky new wine range launched by Pernod Ricard.

The Good Food Guide unveils the UK's top 50 restaurants

The Good Food Guide, published by Waitrose & Partners, has released its list of the top 50 restaurants in the UK, with 11 new restaurants in the line up compared to seven in the previous year. 

Most Recent Stories

Domaine Clarence Dillon to publish cookbook based on Paris restaurant

Domaine Clarence Dillon, the owner of Château Haut-Brion and La Mission Haut-Brion, is to publish a cookbook from its two-Michelin starred Paris restaurant Le Clarence based on the cuisine of chef Christophe Pelé.

UK government's wine red tape backtrack to cost industry millions

The UK government is reportedly considering backtracking on an agreement concerning costly paperwork on wine imports and exports to and from the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit, which could cost the industry millions.

UK government to bring back duty-free alcohol under no-deal Brexit

Duty-free purchasing on alcohol and cigarettes will return in the UK if it leaves the European Union without a deal next month, chancellor Sajid Javid has said.

Pernod Ricard launches tea-infused wine range

A glass of wine and a cup of tea are two of life’s great pleasures, and now they have been combined in a quirky new wine range launched by Pernod Ricard.

The Good Food Guide unveils the UK's top 50 restaurants

The Good Food Guide, published by Waitrose & Partners, has released its list of the top 50 restaurants in the UK, with 11 new restaurants in the line up compared to seven in the previous year.