French chef Claude Bosi denied permanent residence in UK

Claude Bosi, who runs the two Michelin-starred Bibendum in Chelsea, has had his application for permanent UK residency rejected by the Home Office despite having lived in England for 23 years.

French chef Claude Bosi has had his application for permanent residency in the UK rejected

The Lyon-born, London-based chef was told last week his application for a document certifying his permanent residency in the UK after Brexit has been refused.

According to the Evening Standard, Bosi’s application for EU settled status was rejected as he failed to provide enough P60 forms to prove he had lived in the UK continuously for at least five years.

Yet the same letter recognises that he has been self employed in the UK since 1997.

“It was very upsetting to receive that letter. I’ve got a wife and three kids, and have been here for 23 years, it’s not like I’ve just arrived. I can’t afford just to decide to leave,” Bosi told the Evening Standard.

“It’s like as long as you’ve been here and as hard as you’ve been working and as much as you love the country you’re just not welcome,” he added.

The chef has 14 days to reapply for permanent UK residency after Brexit, and in the meantime, his future in London lies in the balance.

Bosi took to Instagram last Friday to announce the news and post a photo of his letter from the Home Office. In the post he asked UK prime minister, Boris Johnson, whether he’d done something wrong.

The UK is due to leave the European Union on 31 January. Prior to Bibendum, Bosi held two Michelin stars at Hibiscus restaurant in Mayfair, which closed in 2016.

Bosi cut his culinary teeth working alongside Alain Ducasse at Restaurant Alain Ducasse and Alain Passard at L’Arpège. His original Hibiscus site opened in Ludlow in Shropshire in 2000.

Leave your reply

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

In restaurant news: the UK restaurant market is expected to grow by almost a third this year, a report finds test and trace data from restaurants was barely used, and restaurants in Texas reopen at full capacity. 

Liquid Icons launches The Golden Vines Awards

Liquid Icons, founded by the late, great Gerard Basset OBE MW MS and Lewis Chester DipWSET, has announced the launch of The Golden Vines Awards, which will raise funds for, and promote, diversity and inclusion in the industry.

English wine industry plans digital campaign and hospitality fundraiser

Building on the success of a similar event last year, Jacob Leadley, CEO of Hampshire winery Black Chalk, and industry body WineGB are to launch the Big English Wine Easter campaign.

Hong Kong Tourism Board to boost local hospitality

Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) announced its new year work plan, setting out a series of flexible strategies to prepare for the return of tourists and continue support for the local hospitality industry.

Lease terminated on Covid-hit Hong Kong restaurant

Mr. Ming’s Chinese Dining, a restaurant in Hong Kong that has reported a cluster outbreak of Covid-19 recently, has had its lease terminated by its landlord, the K11 Musea shopping mall.

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

In restaurant news: the UK restaurant market is expected to grow by almost a third this year, a report finds test and trace data from restaurants was barely used, and restaurants in Texas reopen at full capacity. 

Liquid Icons launches The Golden Vines Awards

Liquid Icons, founded by the late, great Gerard Basset OBE MW MS and Lewis Chester DipWSET, has announced the launch of The Golden Vines Awards, which will raise funds for, and promote, diversity and inclusion in the industry.

English wine industry plans digital campaign and hospitality fundraiser

Building on the success of a similar event last year, Jacob Leadley, CEO of Hampshire winery Black Chalk, and industry body WineGB are to launch the Big English Wine Easter campaign.

Hong Kong Tourism Board to boost local hospitality

Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) announced its new year work plan, setting out a series of flexible strategies to prepare for the return of tourists and continue support for the local hospitality industry.

Lease terminated on Covid-hit Hong Kong restaurant

Mr. Ming’s Chinese Dining, a restaurant in Hong Kong that has reported a cluster outbreak of Covid-19 recently, has had its lease terminated by its landlord, the K11 Musea shopping mall.