Restaurant chain checks diners’ temperatures before allowing entry

A Chinese restaurant chain in California is checking temperatures at the door before allowing diners into the premises in order to control the Covid-19 outbreak.

Image: Sichuan Impression

Sichuan Impression, which has three restaurants in California, has employed the measure since late January.

A statement on Instagram read: “As a Chinese restaurant rooted in Los Angeles that aims at thriving the traditional Chinese culinary culture, Sichuan Impression also pays close attention to the development of this new epidemic. According to the news, infections are rapidly spreading across China. We at Sichuan Impression respect and enjoy having our guests who come from all corners of the world. Offering you a healthy and safe dinning environment is also upheld as our top priority.”

The restaurant uses an infrared thermometer to check each customer that comes through its door. If a diner is suffering from a fever, the restaurant said it would help the individual seek medical attention.

It said any person failing to comply with the measures would be denied a meal. It is offering 5% off takeaway orders and free delivery for those who live within five miles of its Tustin restaurant.

A total of 1,010 people have so far contracted Covid-19 in the US, with the virus claiming the lives of 31 people in the country. In the UK there are a total of 383 cases and six deaths.

The restaurant industry across the pond is also suffering from the outbreak. Trade body UKHospitality said bookings at pubs, bars and hotels for the next two to three months were down by around 50% compared to last year. It is asking the government to freeze business rates to provide relief to the sector.

Like Sichuan Impression, some restaurants in the UK have taken matters into their own hands. The Sea Shell of Lisson Grove restaurant in London has decided to keep the takeaway side of its business open with extended hours. However, it has altered the hours for its restaurant, which is now only open from Wednesday to Saturday.

In a statement on social media, the restaurant stated: “These hours will remain in operation for the foreseeable future and will return to normal once the current situation has stabilised. We are using this time as an opportunity to work on brand new, exciting concepts and menus for our takeaway, restaurant and delivery platform Deliveroo, which we cannot wait to share with you all.”

Chef and MasterChef: The Professionals judge Marcus Wareing said that it had been a “tough couple of weeks” for the hospitality industry.

“Like many restaurants, we’ve been affected by guests having to cancel their plans with us,” he said.

Leave your reply

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

This week in restaurant news: English restaurants reopen, burger chain Byron appoints administrators, and a popular Edinburgh eatery announces its permanent closure.  

1,900 jobs axed at Café Rouge and Bella Italia

The Casual Dining Group, owner of the popular Café Rogue and Bella Italia chains, is to close 91 restaurants and make 1,900 of its staff redundant.

Publican builds full-size Spitfire replica during lockdown

Those gearing up to visit a pub in England this weekend are advised to expect changes, but visitors to the Selsey Arms in West Sussex will be treated to another surprise: a Spitfire.  

Nathan Outlaw to relaunch two-star restaurant as 'accessible' concept

Nathan Outlaw has closed his two-Michelin star flagship restaurant in Cornwall and intends to relaunch the site as a "more accessible" eatery under the name Outlaw's New Road.

Eleven outstanding rosés for under £20

If you’re feeling a little swamped by the choice of rosés on the market right now, and don’t want to risk disappointment, we are here to help with the best pink wines for under £20 from this year’s Global Rosé Masters.

Most Recent Stories

Amuse-bouches: The latest restaurant news bites

This week in restaurant news: English restaurants reopen, burger chain Byron appoints administrators, and a popular Edinburgh eatery announces its permanent closure.  

1,900 jobs axed at Café Rouge and Bella Italia

The Casual Dining Group, owner of the popular Café Rogue and Bella Italia chains, is to close 91 restaurants and make 1,900 of its staff redundant.

Publican builds full-size Spitfire replica during lockdown

Those gearing up to visit a pub in England this weekend are advised to expect changes, but visitors to the Selsey Arms in West Sussex will be treated to another surprise: a Spitfire.  

Nathan Outlaw to relaunch two-star restaurant as 'accessible' concept

Nathan Outlaw has closed his two-Michelin star flagship restaurant in Cornwall and intends to relaunch the site as a "more accessible" eatery under the name Outlaw's New Road.

Eleven outstanding rosés for under £20

If you’re feeling a little swamped by the choice of rosés on the market right now, and don’t want to risk disappointment, we are here to help with the best pink wines for under £20 from this year’s Global Rosé Masters.