While eateries remain closed, we round up the ways you can get your hands on bottles from London’s top wine-focused restaurants as rated by 2020’s Wine List Confidential guide.
As was written in last year’s Wine List Confidential guide, London’s best restaurants for wine have shown remarkable resilience in what has been a year they would rather forget.
With the country in lockdown again, and restaurants restricted to takeaways, new online ordering systems have had to be developed. Some have opted to use apps such as Slerp, BigNight and Supper London, as well as the trinity of Deliveroo, Just Eat and Uber Eats, while others have created ordering systems on their own websites.
In the latest lockdown, takeaway alcohol sales from hospitality venues have been banned, meaning bottles can only be sold for delivery or bought from a licensed shop.
Here we list the London restaurants, which featured in this year’s Wine List Confidential, that are selling their wines online.
London restaurants selling their wine online
Many of the restaurants featured in Wine List Confidential are selling wine as part of their food delivery offering or have created their own online stores, selling meal kits, deli items, wine and other drinks. These include:
- Albertine: individuals bottles and mixed cases available, delivery nationwide.
- Ampéli: small selection of bottles available via Deliveroo.
- Arros QD: a selection of wines available via Deliveroo and Supper.
- Authentique – Epicerie & Bar: Full wine list available for delivery, free local delivery and nationwide shipping available.
- Blandford Comptoir: Selection of wines available via Supper.
- Bocca di Lupo: Large selection of Italian wine and bottled cocktails available for nationwide delivery.
- Brawn: Wine, beer, spirits and cocktails, as well as curated cases. Local delivery.
- Diogenes The Dog: Range of wines, cider and beer available. Delivery via Slerp, local and UK delivery available.
- Folie London: A selection of bottles available via Supper.
- Gymkhana (via the Ambassador General Store): Individual bottles, cases, beer and cocktails. Nationwide delivery.
- Frog by Adam Handling (via Hame): Large selection of individual bottles available as well as cases curated by beverage director Kelvin McCabe. UK delivery.
- Hide (via Hedonism Wines): Extensive collection of wines and spirits available via partner business and wine supplier Hedonism. UK and world delivery.
- Lady of the Grapes: Good selection of wines, beer, cider and spirits for nationwide delivery.
- Levan: Selection of wines available through BigNight app.
- Lorne: Extensive wine selection including cocktails for delivery via Slerp.
- LPM Restaurant & Bar: Bottles and cocktails available through Deliveroo and Supper.
- Medlar: Full wine list available with 25% off list price, delivery via Supper.
- No. Fifty Cheyne: Bottles, cocktails and beer available for local delivery from Friday to Sunday.
- Noble Rot (via Keeling Andrew & Co.): A range of specially curated cases available for UK delivery.
- Passione del Vino: Wines organised by style with monthly themed staff picks for UK delivery.
- Pied á Terre: Curated cases available with delivery to England and Wales.
- Portland: Extensive single bottle list and cocktails available, delivery up to 15km from Portland.
- Quality Wines: Curated cases and individual bottles for UK delivery.
- St. John: Own-label wines available in different formats including magnum and bag in box for UK delivery.
- Sussex (via Gladwin Brothers): Wines, cocktails and beer available via local delivery.
- The Red Lion & Sun: Wines and beer available for local delivery.
- 45 Jermyn Street: Array of bottles available for local delivery via Supper.
London restaurants that have created new wine retail and importing businesses
Some restaurants, however, have gone one step further and have used Covid-19 as an opportunity to set up dedicated wine retail arms.
- Bar Douro (Bottle Shop and Wine Club): Portuguese wines available online and shipped straight from the warehouse, along with a wine club with expert guidance from Sarah Ahmed.
- Leroy (Others Wine): A selection of wines and spirits sourced from over 30 different importers that were popular in the restaurant. Free UK delivery over £75. Wines labelled under ‘fun’, ‘serious’ and ‘rare’.
- Sager & Wilde (Sager & Wine): Wine bars Sager & Wilde are selling their wines online while co-founder Michael Sager has also launched a new wine import business called Sager & Wine. Both businesses offer UK delivery.
- Salon Wine Store: Salon Wine Store is the new wine arm of Brixton’s Salon, offering individual boxes and themed mixed cases for nationwide delivery.
- The 10 Cases (Drop Wine app): Ian Campbell and Will Palmer, the pair behind 10 Cases wine bar & bistrot and Parsons seafood restaurant in Covent Garden, are selling wine through their Drop Wine app. Founded in 2016 to service London, it has now launched a crowdfunding campaign to offer UK nationwide delivery.
- Top Cuvée (via Shop Cuvée): Wines, beers and spirits sold through Top Cuvée’s online portal. A natural wine subscription package is also available. UK delivery.
- Trivet Online: Curated by Isa Bal MS, Turkey’s first Master Sommelier, Trivet’s online wine shop showcases a range of wines from further afield with a focus on Georgia, Armenia, Turkey and Australia. Mixed cases and sake are also available. Bal is importing some wines himself and is also selling Trivet glassware.
- Vinoteca: Extensive array of wines and mixed cases available as well as access to Vinoteca’s wine club. UK delivery.